The Berry College Archives in Memorial Library has print collections of newspapers published at the Berry Schools and Berry College.
Martha Berry opened the doors of the Boys Industrial School in January 1902, on 83 acres on what is today part of the Berry College campus. In 1908 the school's charter was amended with the legal name changed to The Berry School. In 1916 a school for older boys was started at the foot of Lavendar Mountain and in 1917 the charter was again amended, with the legal name changed to The Berry Schools.
The name of the school was changed to the Mount Berry School for Boys and in 1964 the Mount Berry School for Boys became Berry Academy. Over the next two decades the school became coeducational and a middle school was added. Berry Academy closed at the end of the 1982-83 school year.
Martha Berry School for Girls, the girls' high school opened on Thanksgiving Day 1909 and closed in 1955-56.
Berry College was launched at the beginning of the 1926-27 school year as a junior college and became a four-year college in 1930. The first graduate programs were added in 1972.
Newspapers from the Berry Schools & Berry College
Boys Industrial School Advance -- 1904-1906 In January 1904 Berry Boys Industrial School students began to produce this monthly publication, which was replaced in January 1907 by a joint student-faculty publication, the Southern Highlander. The school's administration continued to put out that publication until 1966.
Berry School News/Berry News -- 1912-1924
Mount Berry News -- 1924-1960
Lavendar Blue (Mount Berry School for Boys & Berry Academy) – 1960-1970